Monday, June 27, 2011

Review: House Rules by Jodi Picoult, Asperger's & The Justice System

This review is an extension of Leslie's previous review on the trial and it has to do more generally on Jacob's autism and Picoult's characterization of his condition. I mentioned previously that I had wondered if when writing from Jacob's perspective if that was true to how people with Asperger's really think. I honestly have no idea. I do not know anyone with Asperger's or autism and actually have never really interacted with anyone with that condition either. This is not to say that I am naive in any manner. Both my sister and mother have worked in public schools as teachers for quite some time and have had experience working with kids on the spectrum. I am also a public health researcher and although my area of research is unrelated, if it has to do with health I feel like I am pretty well informed. Finally, I feel like unless you live under a rock you have at least SOME knowledge of autism. It's kind of the childhood health condition du jour. I feel like I can't go through a day without hearing about a new research study, or a commercial about autism, or even seeing a bumper sticker about autism. Which leads me to my main question related to the book...would Jacob REALLY have been treated so poorly by the justice system?

Throughout his arrest and subsequent trial I kept thinking "What's wrong with these people? Are they that dense?" I felt like all the main characters outside of Jacob's family had never even heard of autism and were acting like complete dorks about it. I mean, maybe 10 years ago the reactions to Jacob and treatment he received would have been believable, but it's hard for me to believe that in 2009 or 2010 (which is when I think the story was based) that people would react and behave the way they did! Maybe this is just my naivete or even wishful thinking; I'm really not sure. As I mentioned this is really outside of my personal experience and I really don't know how this story would have panned out in real life. Am I over-assuming how wide-spread the knowledge and awareness is on autism? Am I giving too much credit to our justice system? I really don't know.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. well...since we already discussed this face to face I will just repeat what I said. I think Jacob could have been treated the way the book portrays. Yes people know about Autism and what it is. However, I think that some officers might not care so much because they still think he's guilty. Of course I have never been to jail so I don't really know and I would hope that he would get treated better but then again, what if he had murdered her? Should he be treated special? I guess since it is innocent until proven guilty that is another thought. But if you are innocent until proven guilty, why are they holding you in jail? hmmm?!

    ReplyDelete