Thursday, July 7, 2011

New Book: The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls


We've started a new book! Well at least I have. I keep asking Leslie if she has and she keeps saying no. I'm sure she'll pick it up and finish it in one day, but for now, I'm steadily reading along. We'll see how it goes!

From Amazon: "In The Glass Castle, Walls chronicles her upbringing at the hands of eccentric, nomadic parents--Rose Mary, her frustrated-artist mother, and Rex, her brilliant, alcoholic father. To call the elder Walls's childrearing style laissez faire would be putting it mildly. As Rose Mary and Rex, motivated by whims and paranoia, uprooted their kids time and again, the youngsters (Walls, her brother and two sisters) were left largely to their own devices. But while Rex and Rose Mary firmly believed children learned best from their own mistakes, they themselves never seemed to do so, repeating the same disastrous patterns that eventually landed them on the streets."

1 comment:

  1. I thought I made this comment yesterday....

    I read the Glass Castle awhile back, and I just finished reading another book by this same author - Half Broke Horses, which is the fictionalized story of Rosemary's mother. It was really engrossing, and might be fun to read if you like The Glass Castle.

    ReplyDelete